I have downloaded NetScape7's installer program, and it worked for
me...You might want to delete the installer that you now have and try
once again...
NetScape7 works just fine...

Larry/WD9ESU

---- snip ----

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 > debian-user-digest Digest                            Volume 2002 : Issue 19
 >
 > Today's Topics:
 >   Re: network - notwork! unable to acc  [ Kent West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   =?GB2312?B?ZGViaWFuLXVzZXLE+rrDo6E=?  [ =?GB2312?B?0Oy8zsHZ?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
 >   Re: OpenSSL suggested version         [ Travis Crump
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
 >   Netscape 7.0                          [ lameth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   Re: strange apt-get upgrade issue     [ Crispin Wellington
<crispin@aeonlin ]
 >   Re: network - notwork! unable to acc  [ Tom Cook
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   unsubscribe                           [ Christopher Shea
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   Re: Manually changing IRQ/reconfigur  [ Andy Saxena
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   Re: Gnome session errors              [ Vineet Kumar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
 >   Re: configuring ADSL at Debian??      [ Crispin Wellington
<crispin@aeonlin ]
 >   Re: deb command - which package?      [ Osamu Aoki
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
 >   Re: Netscape 7.0                      [ ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   Re: Khelpcenter glossary problem      [ Dirk Kostrewa
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
<david@scsenterprises ]
 >   free software version of MATLAB       [ "Musang S.X."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   =?GB2312?B?ZGViaWFuLXVzZXLE+rrDo6E=?  [ =?GB2312?B?0Oy8zsHZ?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
 >   Re: free software version of MATLAB   [ Oleg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
 >   Re: Netscape 7.0                      [ ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
 >   Re: Locale and date/time settings     [ Osamu Aoki
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
 >   Samba 'security=server' Debian/Windo  [ Andy Saxena
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]

 > Re: network - notwork! unable to access lan and net
 >
 > Kent West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >
 > Mon, 07 Oct 2002 00:09:46 -0500
 >
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >

 > sandip wrote:
 >
 >>>  Sandip> status: i am unable to ping my machine's ip address,
 >>>

 >> thanx for the help. it was an oversight on my part. my apologies to
 >> the group. i had entered ip addresses incorrectly.
 >>
 >> subsequently, i have edited /etc/network/interfaces by hand and set
 >> the things right - by hand! i used vi for the first time and was
 >> amazed at the facilities it provides. all *i mean it* win editors look
 >> pale compared to vi!
 >>

 > vi ?!! You were amazed by vi?!
 >
 >> and all seems well now. however, i wanted to know if there is a tool/
 >> utility to do what i did by hand.
 >>

 > The installer routine normally handles network setup, but after initial
 > installation, I'm not aware of any tools for editing network setup in
 > Debian.
 >
 >> further i wanted to know if there are any other places where i need to
 >> change ip address my machine and gateway other than what i have
 >> already done.
 >>

 > Other possibly relevant files are /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname,
 > /etc/resolv.conf, and the /etc/network/ directory, but what you've done
 > should probably take care of your immediate needs.
 >
 >> i also will like to know what does entry 'network' in
 >> /etc/network/interfaces mean
 >>
 >  From "man interfaces":
 > The static Method
 >       This  method  may be used to define ethernet interfaces with
 > statically
 >       allocated IPv4 addresses.

 >              address address
 >                     Address (dotted quad) required
 >
 >              netmask netmask
 >                     Netmask (dotted quad) required
 >
 >              broadcast broadcast_address
 >                     Broadcast address (dotted quad)
 >
 >              network network_address
 >                     Network address (dotted quad) required for 2.0.x
 > kernels
 >
 >              gateway address
 >                     Default gateway (dotted quad)
 >

 >> and where does one change dns server entries?
 >>

 > /etc/resolv.conf
 >
 >> last but not the least - how do i access my lan resources? files on
 >> other pcs and printers connected to them? in windows i can do it!
 >>

 > Depends on what the other machines and printers are, and the protocols
 > they speak. Windows computers usually speak SMB, and in order to access
 > Windows shares (file sharing and printer sharing), you'll need to
 > install and configure samba on your Linux box. Do a google for "samba
 > howto" and you'll find way more info that you ever wanted.
 >
 > If you're printing to networked printers (not Windows-shared printers),
 > you're probably interested in lpd and/or cups information.

 > debian-userÄúºÃ£¡
 >
 > Ðì¼ÎÁÙ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >
 > Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:12:47 +0800
 >
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >

 > ÉîÛÚÊÐÐÂÁªÃÀÊõÓ¡Ë¢ÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾

±¾¹«Ë¾Òý½øÈ«ÐÂÈÕ±¾Ð¡É­ËÄÉ«»ú£¬ÓµÓÐÊÀ½ç×îÏȽøµÄÎ÷µÂ½ø¿ÚµçÄÔÒ£¿ØÂÞÀ¼ËÄÉ«²ÊÓ¡»ú£¬²ÉÓÃ×îÏȽøµçÄÔÉè¼ÆÅÅ°æϵͳΪ¿Í»§ÌṩÉè¼Æ¡¢Ó¡Ë¢¡¢×°¶©Ò»ÌõÁúÓÅÖÊ·þÎñ£¬ÒÔÖÊÁ¿ºÃ£¬¼Û¸ñÓÅ£¬½»»õ¿ì£¬ÐÅÓþ¼Ñ£¬ËÍ»õÉÏÃŵķþÎñ×ÚÖ¼Ó®µÃ¹ã´ó¿Í»§µÄÐÅÀµ¡£

--

73 de Larry/wd9esu
E-mail addr: [EMAIL PROTECTED]