Michael,
thanks for the ref to ncftpput.  I'l\l look into that and lftp, as
someone else suggested.  But re: the here script:  does this work if I
write it ina simple shell script?  That is do I write a script thus:
cd ~!/website
ftp -i origin.chass.utoronto.ca<<EOF
EOF

I seem to be getting an error (command not found) when I do this -- is
there a little trick?
thx,
mat