On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:16:32AM +0200, Fred wrote:
> Hi,
>
> before changing anything, i want to know what's wrong.
> Unmounting my ntfs partitions has no effects (just a try to see).
> I'm going to read linux/Documentation/sysctl/fs.txt and about
> mke2fs ; if you know any means to diagnose the pb, let me know.

> BTW : what are "FDs" ?

File Descriptors (a.k.a. file handles).

Each process uses as many file descriptors as it has files open (+
TCP/IP connections, i think - not sure). Typically each file uses a
minimum of 3: stdin, stdout and stderr. Plus whatever open files it
inherits and opens itself.

You can monitor the number of open filehandles through (amongst other
things) "sar -v" - in the sysstat package.

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]