On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 01:53, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:53:08AM +0300, Chavdar Videff wrote:
>
> > Is there any problem giving it a go with debian and format all with
> > ext 3.
>
> I don't have experience with ReiserFS, but have been using ext3 for
> quite a while now, on all my systems.  I haven't had a single file
> system problem that I could in anyway attribute to ext3.

I was using ext3 with a 2.4.17 and 2.4.18 kernel on my machine for quite
some time and I definetely had problems related to the ext3 file system.

I guess there are/were some problems using ext3 on several partitions (I
had 9 ext3 partitons). I have no other explanation that it didn't work
out for me but gets good reviews from others in general.

The problem was that after some time I couldn't access certain
partitions anymore and programs would just stall that used some files on
these partitions. I can't remember correctly but I think I also had
some crashes due to it. Of course I couldn't shutdown cleanly in these
situations but thankfully to my journalled file system rebooting was
almost painless and fast :-) (well, as painless as rebooting a Linux
system can be I guess ;-)

It happened very irregularly and wasn't related to any partition or
disc. I guess it was just a race condidtion I ran into there. (and yes,
I checked my file systems for errors and bad blocks. negative. ;-))

Eventually, I switched to xfs which was a little more work especially
converting my root file system but it was worth it and the problems went
away. I just downloaded a small iso image somewhere which had a xfs
enabled kernel and the appropriote tools to make xfs file systems.

Additionally, one gets ACL (Access Control List) support within the file
system which provides fine grained control over file permissions. xfs
uses a special data structure to store file information which (should)
also increase(s) the file system performance.

I'm using xfs (2.4.18-xfs-1.1) now since Aug the 17th and haven't had a
single problem with it.

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X