> This one time, at band camp, Marc Shapiro said:
> > No.  No upgrades.  I have powered down the system completely and
> > restarted.  Twice.  The results are the same.  lpq still says 'no server
> > active'.  lprng gets started when the system reboots and I didn't see
> > any errors on boot.  Would the message get logged somewhere and not show
> > on the console while the system is booting?
>
> Check under /var/log - there's lpr.log, and lprng may write to syslog or
> additional ones as well.  I'm not sure, since I use CUPS here.

/var/log/lpr has a size of 0

> If so, try ps ax - do you see an lpr(ng) process?  If not, it's not
> running.  If it is, it may be a network problem (even though the network
> is only localhost).

lpd (the print daemon) is listed as Sleeping

> Try `sh -v /etc/init.d/lpr(ng) restart` - do you see any error messages
> from that?

No errors.  The daemon is restarted with a new process, but still
nothing is printing.

> Do you have a firewall on this box, perhaps accidentally denying
> requests to lprng?

Nothing but ipchains to handle one dial-up account and two boxes.

> Can you echo to the printer (`echo "hello\n" > /dev/lp0` or wherever the
> printer is attached)?  If taht works, it's at least not a kernel level
> problem.

Still nothing.

> Try to dig through your logs, configs (/etc/printcap) and write back
> with any error messages you can find.

I don't see any errors in syslog pertaining to lpd

--
Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                you will live to be 150 years old,