It turns out that I had the wrong version of the kernel
module (NVdriver) and NVidia GLX module.  The version I had was 1.0-1541
but I needed 1.0-3023.  I still don't know why it worked the first time...

Earlier, I didn't believe the GLX message that only mentioned boards up
to GeForce3, but
not GeForce4 Ti 4600.  I thought that of course they wouldn't distribute
old drivers that
don't work with their new cards.   It was only when I played with the
source code to the
NVdriver kernel module, after getting a message about not recognizing
PCI address 0x0250
from "rmmod NVdriver; insmod NVdriver", that I understood the need for an
 up-to-date driver.

Thanks to you and Jeff for your help.

Issac