Well, I was in Linux again today and I did a couple of things.  Here is what I did and
the response I got, can anyone comment on this?

1) I installed "pump" upon the recommendation of a co-worker (using "apt-get install
pump", from the CD-ROM).  But executing "pump -i eth0 --status" yields the error
message "Operation failed".  So I must need to configure it or something.

2) I changed the /etc/network/interfaces file to say

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

(without the indent) But then when I executed "/etc/init.d/networking restart", it
just hung for a while and said "Done".  No IP address was assigned, according to
"/sbin/ifconfig".

3) I went back into Windows and tried the /release and /renew arguments to "ipconfig".
 Here is the response I got:

H:\>ipconfig /release

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Error: No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP

H:\>ipconfig /renew

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Error: No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP

I'm pretty clueless at this point.  Part (3) above suggests that DHCP isn't even being
used here, but I'm pretty certain that DHCP is indeed being used by my company's
network.  What's the deal?  Anyone have any advice?  I appreciate it.

Erik