"Joyce, Matthew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I was able to install woody v3 on a 486/16mb/500mb the other day.

I'm of the impression that 16MB is required for the Woody install. The
machine I installed (and... am... installing...)  has only 8MB.

Here is a general question though and hopefully the new kernel that is
being installed while I write this will remedy the problem.

This new machine is to be the firewall/router for the net connection
and the new kernel for it has iptables, nat, and the advanced routing
configurations enabled.

The first build, though, had CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_LARGE_TABLES set, and
after the TCP notice in the kernel boot messages (TCP, ICMP, etc), I
was informed that something like 256 buckets were made, 4k. Then it
began looking for an internet device and modprobe became stuck in a
loop because it continued to run out of memory.

So, this new build does not have CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_LARGE_TABLES set, and
it is still installing so it may be like an hour before I can attempt
to boot up into it to check again, but should this take care of the
problem?

Thank you,

Elizabeth