"Richard" == Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    Richard> How do I go about telling my router on my home network
    Richard> that I want to use a fixed IP address on my Debian box?
    Richard> It needs to be fixed so that the other PC on the system
    Richard> can retrieve mail from it.  At the moment the router
    Richard> seems to allocate 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 to both
    Richard> machines at varying times, according to whether one is
    Richard> switched off/on.

It would depend on the router. If the router supports it, the easiest
thing is to tell it to give out DHCP addresses in a limited range (say
192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.100), and then assign a fixed IP address
outside this range (e.g. 192.168.0.101) to the Debian box ('man
interfaces' for details).

Cheers!
Shyamal