"Shyamal" == Shyamal Prasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:

    Sandip> so far as smarthost is concerned, i do not know yet! but
    Sandip> frankly, i think a machine with the net access and dns
    Sandip> access should be in a position to send e-mails independent
    Sandip> of other machines (read -
    Sandip> smarthost). of course, correct me if i am wrong

    Shyamal> Yes, and no. In theory you should be able to do this. In
    Shyamal> practice, if you look up an MX record for the domain you
    Shyamal> are sending mail to, and try to connect to that mail
    Shyamal> server, the server may not accept mail for you. You can
    Shyamal> thank spammers etc. for the closing of the old internet
    Shyamal> when you could do this stuff.

For the sake of full disclosure: the above is an uninformed opinion. I
have never set up a debian box on the big-I Internet with full mail
delivery based on MX records. It might work for you. It does for some
people. I've been told that many ISP's make this hard to do.

Don't believe everything I say ;-)