On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:48:05PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
[ big snip ]

> A package which is installed that sees a configuration file already
> present in /etc _should_ avoid asking you questions and just use that
> configuration file.  However, each package will have varying quality
> there and many will still ask you a zillion questions all over again.
> (Some like am-utils will ask a bunch of questions which you must
> answer, then after asking see the previous configuration file and only
> then give you the opportunity to use the previous file discarding the
> answers you were forced to answer but did not need to.  Sigh.)  In
> general Debian packages are way to chatty and ask way too many
> questions during an install.  You just have to put up with it in many
> cases.  If you plan to reset /etc after doing all of the installs
> again then what you answer probably won't matter since they will get
> overwritten.
>
> Again, this is what I would do.  YMMV.  Good luck!

If the packages use debconf (unfortunately not all do, but...) then you
can avoid most of the questions by:

    # export DEBIAN_PRIORITY=critical

which should ensure that you only get asked "critical" questions.

If you want to be really nasty, then:

    # export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive

which should ask you *no* questions (at least not through debconf).

(man 8 debconf for a more reliable source)

If you are going to merge /etc anyway, the latter might be what you want

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]