martin f krafft said:
> something just happened that i've never seen before. a client obtained a

in my experience it is normal for a dhcp client to change it's
hostname when recieving a dhcp address. it's been a long while
since I used a debian system in a dynamic dhcp enviornment(most of
my enviornments are statically assigned ips via MACs with DHCP just
makes it easier and consistant), but in SuSE and redhat at least they
by default change their hostnames to what the dhcp server says. though
it is usually to a useful hostname that is the hostname of the IP in
DNS, but I suppose a dhcp server could override what the hostname
is sent out as.

nate