"Thomas" == Thomas H George <Thomas> writes:

    Thomas> I need basic references to get started.  The problem: My
    Thomas> daughter's company has instructed her to install DSL to
    Thomas> facilitate working from home when she is on-call.  She is
    Thomas> a system manager for a complex Tandem computer network -
    Thomas> i.e. a computer wiz who doesn't know or care beans about
    Thomas> Windows or Debian.

Besides all the good advice you have from others on this thread do
consider how exactly your daughter will connect into her work
network. Presumably she will use VPN tunnel product. Some of these
don't work too well through a NAT, or don't work with all NAT
products.

I don't know much more about this, but I can say it is a real problem
with my employer. My DSL modem + NAT claims IP Sec pass through and so
on, but I have never been able to connect. Frankly, I don't mind. When
I'm home, I'm home :-)

Cheers!
Shyamal