I have an old 486/66 with debian, I though I might use it to get my emails
from several accounts.

I have install fetchmail, configured exim and install courier imap.

After creating a Maildir folder (makemaildir I think) I can connect via an
imap client and see the folders ok.

When I ran fetchmail, it did collect my email, but put it in single file in
/var/mail/user.
This was of course correct because I had not changed the config.

After a bit of googling, I made some changes to point to ${home}/Maildir and
also maildir_format = true.

Now it still connects to the servers  and downloads the email, but I cannot
fathom where they go.

They do not appear in the Maildir folders, nor the /var/mail folder.

Any ideas ?

Matt