Sandip P Deshmukh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> now, i changed smtp server in my mozilla to 192.168.100.21 - my
> machine's ip address. it is unable to deliver message. the error i get
> is:
>
> an error occured while sending mail. the mail server responded:
> relayin to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> prohibited by
> administrator. (failed to find hostname from ip address). please check
> mail receipients and try again

You don't allow relaying for your computer.  Using localhost (or
127.0.0.1) instead of 192.168.100.21 as your SMTP-server in mozilla
might fix it.

But you should take a look at everything related to "relay" in the
config file and the exim docs anyway to understand what this is about.

Hint: you probably allow relay for localhost but not for
192.168.100.21.  Since you address the server not on its local address
but the one bound to its NIC (network interface card), the mail
doesn't seem to come from localhost (127.0.0.1).

> curiously, mail can be sent using mail address command.

It uses exim directly, not through SMTP.

Ciao,
   Jens