alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> What I'm looking for is a way to run quick compatibility checks with a >>> KNOPPIX CD on display computers in computer stores, something that >>> could be done in a matter of a few minutes per computer.

Why not just try Knoppix on it?

> Sorry for the direct reply--too hasty.

> It's a matter of doing it as quickly as possible because of the environment.
> Surely there must be way of checking compatibility without
> a full installation.

Don't worry about the environment.
You're the customer. If they don't like it, go to another store.
Take a reasonable approach, and explain that you just want to ensure compatibility.
If they don't like it, they don't have the service standard that deserves the business.

An online acquaintance in Canada took exactly this approach when he was shopping for a new laptop.
He took a Knoppix disc into the shop, and ran tests on every laptop in there.
When the proprietor understood what he wanted, he asked him to.
A lot of customers had been making enquiries concerning linux compatibilty, and he needed to know for himself.
Ralph stayed there all day, and at the end of it, he got $500.00 Canadian of a purchase of his new H.P.
That's not bad for a days work.
He accidentally left the disc behind, too.
I wonder who is going to have a bit of a play, when the shop is quiet?
Regards,

David.