On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:52:19 -0400 (EDT)
Ishwar Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I understand that there is documentation. I have looked at it
> but have not had success. If you can help, please do so.
>
> -ishwar

Here are the startup script basics:

There are different run levels for running a Unix system.  Run level 2
is the default for Debian.

$ grep default /etc/inittab
# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

So when Debian goes to run startup scripts it looks in the /etc/rc2.d
directory.  If you list that directory you will find symbolic links to
scripts in the /etc/init.d directory.  The purpose is to have one place
to store startup scripts and allow links from the various runlevel
directories instead of copying and having to maintain multiple scripts
in multiple directories.

If you want a script to run during the boot process, put the script in
the /etc/init.d directory (make sure it is executable) and make a
symbolic link to it from the /etc/rc2.d directory.

The symbolic link should be named with the following pattern: SXXname.
Where S is for start, XX is a two digit number to determine what order
to start and name is the name of the script found in /etc/init.d.  In
/etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d you will find corresponding stop scripts
(KXXname with the K for kill).

The update-rc.d program can help with creation of the rc links, but it
can also be done manually.  If you install a Debian package that
requires a startup script, it should be taken care of automatically by
the package.  The ssh package does this.

Hopefully, this information helps to better understand the
documentation.  I am also willing to help clarify information in the
documenation if you have specific questions after reviewing it.

--
Carlos Hanson
Webmaster and Postmaster

ph: 503.431.4053