jack kinnon wrote:

Hi folks,
The PC I am having is built from scratch. I buy the Intel 865GBFmotherboard w a 2.6GHz HT CPU, a 256MB single module memory, the storage peripherals, a chassis w a 450W PSU and assemble them up. The BIOS is fr Intel, the original was rev P10 but I had upgraded it to P14 a couple of months back.
The on-board 865G chipset supports AGP which uses up to 64MB of the main memory for video RAM. Besides this there's also a 8x AGP slot. The BIOS video config is :
AGP Aperture Size 64MB
Primary Video Adapter AGP
Frame Buffer Size 16MB
I think the /dev/agpgart error and the DRI warning is because I don't have a card on the AGP slot and I have selected the device and DRI in the kernel config.

The 865 is new enough that X might have trouble with it. If you're running stable, you might consider upgrading to unstable or using Backports, etc, to get a newer version of X that might help with your issues. You might also just need to wait a year until support becomes better. Alternatively, you might try the "vesa" driver, and/or get a real (and better supported) AGP card and put it in the AGP slot.

A fairly good test to see if X supports this chipset well is to boot of a recent Knoppix CD and see how well the video performs. If it works well with Knoppix, you know all you have to do is further tweaking on your Debian setup. If it doesn't work well with Knoppix, that's a pretty good indication that the support for the 865 just isn't quite there yet.

My desired setting is 1024x768 res with 24-bit color. 64MB video ram should be able to support this, right?

Yes, easily.