On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 12:44, Michael Graham wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > After much consternation I feel the need to vent about shell
> > environment initialization. With the default Debian installation,
> > /etc/profile and~/.bash_profile are not sourced in the X windows
> > environment. Apparently this is because at no time is a login shell
> > created which is necessary to trigger profile initialization.

> Now do you have the display manager source every possible file that
> should be sourced for each possible shell? Only source the files that
> should be sourced for the shell that the login manager uses? Or do you
> setup a system where by the users shell is determined and the
> appropriate files sourced?
>
> I hope if you think about it you'll realise that it is highly
> non-trivial to implement a system where no matter which shell the user
> uses the dm will act in the same way.

Bash looks at a particular file in your home directory, and if
it's there and you're in an "interactive" terminal, then the
file is sourced.

The problem is, this file is not included in the standard
account files, when the new user account is created.

Or else the line that sources the system bashrc from the
users bashrc is commented out. Or something like that.

If tcsh has a similar file, it should also be copied.

There are what, at most 4 or 5 standard such files, at may be
4K (due to disk boundaries) each, maximum?

I don't see what the problem is.

>From memory, it's just that the appropriate rc lines are
commented out. They're even there, existing already, just
commented out.

But anyway, I guess it forces users to learn about bashrc
(or pick your shell) config files. The question is why?

zen