Keith O'Connell wrote:

Hi,

There was a thread in this list last week where people were asked if the preferred KDE or Gnome, and the majority of people who posted a reply basicaly said "neither". They all said they went with a window manager and no desktop and their machines were the better for it.

I have used Gnome for quite a while now, but this thread made me wonder why I do, and I cannot think of a good reason. I have been googling for a few days now looking for an account of just how much a performance hit Gnome or KDE are and what the respective speed and comparative performances are for the various window managers.

I thought I would be awash with articles, but I cannot find anything that compares the options. Can someone tell me where I can find anything on this subject

Keith.

Hello Keith,

You don't have to stay with the rigid 'either/or' of KDE/Gnome, either.
Do you really use every application in which ever one you are using?

I removed all of Open Office and KDE.
I then installed just the Gnome applications I was interested in using.
In my case, that was gACC, gnumeric, gnucash and abiword-gnome, with their associated plugins and docs.
I also installed Lyx, which I might be uninstalling yet in favour of Groff, once I have checked it out.

The best way I found to clean things up was to remove the package 'yelp', and to install 'firestarter.'
These two removed anything unnecessary in Gnome, and Firestarter installed the dependencies that made it stable.
There's no need to weigh the situation down with a whole lot of Gnome GUI real estate.
I installed Openbox, fluxbox, for window managers, and xfce4 for an environment, and once I have made up my mind what I want to keep out of that, some of that'll go too.
There are filemanagers that are more efficient than nautilus. I use emelfm and mc. But I intend to check out gentoo more thoroughly.
If I need to listen to some music while I'm working, applications the like of xfreecd sound just as good as the full blown Gnome media setup.
Besides the saved hard disc space, the performance is obvious.
I regret I don't have measurements.
Regards,

David.