Hi group,

I have to evaluate VMWare for work, and I'm trying to get it to work on
my laptop running Debian sid. So the host OS is sid. I had to evaluate a
DVD containing a slackware distribution, and my mouse won't move. I
created a new virtual machine and tried running Knoppix 3.4 from it,
same problem.

The guest OS is detecting a mouse at /dev/psaux, PS/2 protocol but in X,
it won't move the cursor. Clicking the mouse _does_ work, but moving it
doesn't. Doing a `cat /dev/psaux' outputs nothing when I move the mouse.

I tried everything I could think of: changing the vmware mouse settings,
doing a `chmod a+rw' on /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice on the host OS.
No results so far. However, at one time, the mouse _did_ work in
fullscreen mode and after that, it worked in windowed mode too, but I
couldn't reproduce that.

The only warning vmware gave me was that while compiling modules, the
kernel was compiled with 3.3.3 and the modules compiled with 3.3.4. I
have no idea if this is significant.

I have a touchpad at /dev/psaux and a usb mouse (hid modules) at
/dev/input/mice. VMWare is 4.5.2, build 8848.

Has anyone got vmware working on sid?

This is frustrating, thanks for any advice or comments,

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!