Recently I ran into a problem on my machine at home. I had made an update of several packages and something went wrong. What I need is a way to query all installed packages by their install date. I couldn't find any existing tools like dselect, synaptic, or aptitude that would let me do this. The only thing I can think of is writing a perl script using the output of `dpkg -s` on every installed package. This would take a long time for sure. I didn't see any packages or docs on functions used inside dpkg. Is there another way to do this b/c I don't want to re-invent the wheel.