Hi folks,

I am trying to install SARGE with the Sarge-netinstall-disc on a very old machine (Pent.166MHZ, 4.3GB-Disc, 96MB RAM).
In this machine I put an ISA-3Com509-EtherlinkIII-networkcard and want to connect it via my LAN-Server to the internet to get all the necessary packages.

Connection from my Debian-Woody-Server-PC to the internet works well, usually also the LAN-Connection to my laptops works well. BUT I couldn't establish the connection to this old PC. Usually I get my (internal) IPs with DHCP, but during the sarge-netinstall-disc-installation this didn't work. So I gave manually an internal IP. But I cannot ping the PC from my server and vice-versa. The lights (green and orange are on constantly, the card itself should be OK). I also put manually an IP-adress into the /etc/hosts-file.

I think I could be something with the so called IRQs and something about Hex-Adresses (like 0x300) but I am not an expert upon this topic. I remember that during another install, debian asked me to put in such an adress for the ISA-card, but this time there was no question about this during the installation process. I just had to choose among several modules, and I took the 3c509-modul.

Has anybody an idea how I can get working this network-card?

Any hints and tips are very appreciated.

thx a lot in advance.

salut, Richard