Thanks for all of the help from everyone - eh, I sounded quite desperate, but I was really pissed off that day, returning from a 10 hour shift with only a few precious hours to spend at home and my debian giving me shit for no reason.

Due to all of the suggestions I've been given here, I've played around a lot with the apt tools and I decided to give downgrading my xlibs a try.

All of my problems, except for having to startx twice for X to recognize my mouse, are gone.

I downgraded from xlibs.4.3.0.dfsg.1-5 to dfsg.1-4. The sluggishness of my mouse cursor, the broken alt-key (alt + letter wasn't recognized by any programs anymore.. for instance for opening menus or for shortcuts), the broken alt-tabbing. I'm sure that with something major like this, developers will be aware of it.. should I post it somewhere else anyway? I guess unstable is all about finding things that break (I had to add testing in my sources list to get that version of xlibs as well).

Thanks again,

Daniel