On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 14:59 -0500, Santiago de Ledesma wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having this problem while using gnome 2.6 in my laptop with sarge
> unstable. The UI locks from time to time when using any gnome widget.
[...]
> ignores me. If I restart X (and gdm) with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and login
> again gnome never comes up.

Hmm, my first guess would be that some process that all those programs
depends on is failing, but stays running, preventing other copies of
itself from starting up. Try doing a ps aux | grep <username> (as root)
after you get a hang like this to see what processes, if any, are still
running. That might give you an idea.

-Mark