I noticed similar behaviour. First the mouse wasn't noticed by X at all,
actually. After a quick unload/load of the two mouse related kernel
modules (mousedev, psmouse) I got that erratic behaviour. I rebooted,
and that took care of it (for this time anyway).

Does X (or rather the kernel module) complain about dropped bits? (I saw
lots of complaints on dropping one or two bits.)

/M