xxx:/etc/logrotate.d# ls /etc/webmin
e5d488f2.0  miniserv.pem  miniserv.users

Any recommendation of what can be wrong?  My understanding that this
error has something to do with openssh.

It doesn't seem that anything is wrong. As part of the post-installation script, webmin looks to see if you already have a miniserv ssl certificate and creates it if you don't.

If you want to be absolutely sure the package is properly installed, do
dpkg -l webmin

If the first two letters on the line are ii, you are ok.

I don't know what was going on, but after I purged it (not only removed) and then reinstalled, it started to work.