> You don't have to be at the box, you can ssh into it and launch tethereal.
> See what happens if you do a:
> dig google.com
> dig -x 192.168.0.1
>
> And other name related stuff

Thanks.  I don't yet have my new Debian box connected to the 'net - our
phone provider still needs to do their stuff.  I suspect the problem is
something to do with reverse DNS - I keep getting the following from
logcheck when I log in using ssh:

    Unusual System Events
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Jul 14 14:20:51 debian sshd[31468]: Could not reverse map address
192.168.0.5.

The instructions for the D-Link router say that, when setting up Windows
networking, you should tick "get settings automatically".  Is there a
Windoze command that will let me inspect the DNS settings from a client that
I've set up in this way?  That might give me a clue as to how to set up my
Linux box.

Unfortunately DNS is still a bit of a black art to me.

I'm going away for about 3 days so any further correspondence will need to
be done on a separate thread.