On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 14:28, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Monday 04 November 2002 12:54 pm, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:

> I can't help you with your apache problem but have you thought of trying ssh?
>
> Get putty from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ which is an
> ssh client (amongst other things) for win32.
>
> ssh supports (and so does putty) the ability forward ports over encrypted
> channels. So you can forward your imap port over the ssh channel to appear to
> be a port on your local machine.  You can then direct your prefered mail
> client at that port and bingo - you can get at your mail.
>
> Setup sshd on your home box (I assume this is debian - its part of the "ssh"
> package - say you want to run a server as part of the setup) - create a key
> with putty's key gen and then put the resultant text file into
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
>
> You can then use putty to create a named session to get you in and setup the
> port forwarding for you.  I have startmenu entries that call putty with the
> session name to start it up when I want to use it.

Heh. I actually use putty/ssh all the time from work to get to my home
system and use mutt if other email options are busted. I'm just really
not wanting to set up mut to access all the various folders I have
created on my IMAP setup.

I've even used ssh+CygWin to run remote X sessions but that is MUCH too
slow for doing remote email (cable modem with 400Kb/sec outbound cap). I
hadn't even considered it for forwarding port 143 to an open port on the
work machine. I'll have to go sit at my brother's winbox in the other
room later and see if I can figure out how to do that in a bit.

Now to see if I can find an IMAP MUA for WIN other than Outlook Express
(yuck!)

Thanks

--
Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com