On Saturday 17 July 2004 11:57 am, Christopher J. Noyes wrote:

> I had originally had Debian setup to use pppoe to connect to verizon.net
> using DSL and it worked. I just setup a small home network using a Linksys

This is funny.  I tried to do exactly that, and I never could get it to work.
After fighting for two hours, I forced the person I was helping to go buy a
router and spare me bashing my head any longer.

> DSL/Cable Router, on Windows it works fine, both computers connect shares
> work, both can use the internet. I need to know how to configure Debian to
> connect to the router. As I understand it, what I need to do is disable
> pppoe, set it up to connect via Ethernet, configure it do do a dhcp lookkup

All you have to do is uninstall the pppoe packages.  That should get rid of
anything trying to start pppoe for you automatically.  Then the stock
standard out of the box /etc/network/interfaces is all you need for the box
to work the next time you ifup eth0 or reboot.  Dead easy.

> to the router for the ip address, though this machine it should be
> 196.192.1.100 according the linksys's documentation as it is the first
> machine and in Windows it uses this ip address. Second Question, how do you

I'm not aware of any way to force that router to assign addresses in any
controllable way.  First come, first serve.  (I'd love to hear different.
It's the Linksys router from Wal-Mart I'm talking about here; yours might not
be the same one.)  That means each machine's IP address on the LAN could
change at any time.  It complicates a few things, but I find it's not too bad
since the Linux machine is pretty well always started first, and both
machines almost always have predictable IP addresses on the LAN the router
provides, which are in /etc/hosts on the Linux box, and C:\SOME-STUPID-PLACE
on the Windows machine.  I can't remember.  C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS maybe.

> set up to connect to Windows Shares, I guess this is Samba. I have a laptop
> that is off and on the network that I would like be able to connect to.

Samba can be done.  I've done it, years ago.  But damn if I could figure out
how to do it this last time around.  Windows networking is retarded, and
Samba is a PITA.  The best solution to this problem is to run a 100% Linux
network.  :)

I know that's not the answer you need though.  I hope someone can help you.
Maybe try a new thread, since Samba doesn't have much of anything to do with
the router; beyond the vagaries of having a potentially variable IP on the
boxes anyway.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/