* Jason Rennie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004 Jul 25 10:29 -0500]:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:53:13AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > I concur.  I never have had satisfactory print quality on my agin
> > Lexmark 4039-10R with lpr/lprng with magicfilter/apsfilter.  I started
> > playing with CUPS a month or so back and once I installed libgimpprint
> > and used their ljet3 driver in CUPS I got the best output from that
> > printer I have seen yet.
>
> I'm on the other side of the fence ATM; just installed CUPS and
> configured my Samsung ML-1710 (CUPS had an exact match for
> make/model).  Test page prints great, enscript'd text prints great,
> even simple postscript (latex->dvi->postscript) works great.  But,
> pages printed from firefox/mozilla are a mess---just a jumble of lines
> at the top of the page; doesn't look anything like gv shows.  I didn't
> have any problems like this when I was running RedHat/Fedora... (same
> printer)
>
> Might there be a driver package I'm missing?  These are the packages I
> apt-get installed:

I think it depends on whether you are using mozilla.org builds or
Debian packages for Mozilla and/or Firefox.  The Debian pakages
currently require Xprint.  I am using the mozilla.org builds with no
problems.  The default margins may need to be reset or the header and
footer may not be visible.

> cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-driver-gimpprint xpp cupsomatic-ppd
> foomatic-db-gimp-print

I did install cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client, cupsys-driver-gimpprint/data,
etc.  I ried foomatic, but never got any output so I gave up on it, but
that may be more a problem with my printer than foomatic.  I have to
use a driver that generates PCL as it doesn't have enough memory to
process PostScript.  :-(

> Any help/ideas would be much appreciated :)

Try the upstream Firefox with postscript output?

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"