> Now I've dl'd the Debian CD iso images and burned them to disks.
> This is with the 'Woody' 30r2-i386 set of seven CD's, plus the updates
> CD.

Okay, that's *exactly* what *I* did...  except for the update CD
(hmmmm....)

> But it breaks each time at 'Configuring Locales'. You can select more
> locales, but the 'Enter' key will not give an 'accept' - it just sits
> there.

but it looks like I had another Narrow Escape...

IIRC, after saying to myself, "Duuh...  What's A `Locale'", I just
selected "C" as the "Locale" because it looked generic and nerdish and
acultural and etc. (and I *think* it's the default...), and that worked
OK to finish the install.

Then, later on, GTK started whining "Locale Not Supported", etc.
- so I added the US English locale with (I think) "dpkg-reconfigure".
(I can go look up the exact procedure I used, if you want, but (Anno
Mirabili) it's actually documented somewhere).  That shut GTK up
(although
I can't imagine why it would insist on US English when I gave it "C",
already...  but, whatever turns its crank, I suppose).

My usual tactic with installs is to try and get something up, as simply
as possible, and then subsequently add things and bludgeon the system
into accepting them.  I've found that to be particularly necessary when
installing this Debian Woody contraption - the more you add at the
outset,
the more pitfalls (with excrement-smeared punji stakes at the bottom of
them) there are down the road.

> Can't I get a stock version of Linux to run 'out of the box', with decent
> speed?

You want something FREE to work, out of a "box" it didn't come in, when
expensive Gatesware that you PAY for, in a fancy-pants
marketing-droid-designed
box with a hologram on it, DOESN'T work??  *WHERE* did you get
the DRUGS???

>I'm not asking a lot, Web access, email, and a functioning floppy
> drive...

Yeah, well, I'm not there either yet, after 3 weeks.  I'm still trying
to fashion the necessary full-body Internet condom out of the resident
firewall
stuff, before I trust my system on the net.  But I'll get there.
I've yet to find a ****nix system that doesn't eventually submit to
domination and slavery under my relentless brutal attacks.

> Further, the Debian install doc, which was lovingly detailed up to
> Chapter
> 8, breaks down and does not deal with several of the screen options
> presented during setup. Including, of course, the 'Configuring Locales'
> option, or any way of avoiding it.

So, somebody never got finished with it.  Their girlfriend was probably
screaming at them to come to bed at 3AM.  (For pete's sake...  he wants
*free* *documentation* with his *free* *software*???  and expects ANY
of it to WORK????)

> Can I scream now, or must I wait?

When it comes to dealing with ****nix machinations, rather than
screaming
I'd suggest a blood sacrifice in front of your computer.  Start with a
chicken (I won't bring partisan politics into this and suggest from
which
party you should get it...) and work your way up the food chain...