On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 07:28, cam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just moved to debian in the last few days after several years of RH -
> usual reasons. Enjoying it very much so far. I installed woody with bf24 kernel
> from dl'd CD and just put on the most basic system. I used apt-get to install
> x, xfce, mozilla and a few other things.. I then decided to upgrade to sarge
> and did a dist-upgrade.
>
> I now want to compile the nvidia drivers for my GeForce3 and have found it
> slightly confusing from here. Here are some questions:
>
> - I installed gcc3.3 because this seemed to be appropriate for sarge from
> discussions I found on the net but I wasn't sure how to tell. Isn't it safer
> that I compile the driver with the same compiler that was used for X and the
> kernel? How do I find this out?
>
> - When I used aptitude to get gcc, it also installed a set of kernel headers.
> Why is this a dependency for the compiler?
>
> - Not surprisingly, the nvidia installer wants me to download the kernel
> headers to match my system - why can't I find headers for the bf24 kernel that
> I used initially - presumably becasue I moved up to sarge?
>
> - I assume it would be easier to just grab a new kernel, headers and everything
> and rebuild the kernel and then the nvidia driver. Is this likely to be
> problematic for other stuff on the system (e.g. X?)

Here's a link to a great howto on building the nvidia drivers along with
your kernel from source.

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html

I've used this method many times on my "sarge" i386 system. I've never
compiled X, or much at all besides nvidia & the kernel, for that matter.
The only real problem I've had with this method is that the latest
"sarge/testing" nvidia drivers (6106) have never worked for me, so I'm
still using the 5336 version driver.

> - Under aptitude there is a wide range of header packages available (not at my
> machine now so I can't remember them, sorry) for a given kernel - what is the
> difference between these? What is the minimum set to do what I want - some
> customisation of the kernel and building of other modules like nvidia?

I've built and used the nvidia drivers with many custom 2.4 and 2.6
kernels, although I've never got it to work with a precompiled binary
kernel. I've used the nvidia-provided installer, but as mentioned in the
above-linked howto, if you have to install more than a couple times ;)
you'll learn to appreciate the debian method, as I have.

I can't speak much to your other questions, but have a look at the howto
and let us know how it goes.

FWIW:
Athlon XP 2500+
MSI GF4 MX440 AGP4x 64MB