hi ya thomas

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Thomas Adam wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:43:16PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:49:33PM -0300, Joey Hess wrote:
> > >  - grub as the boot loader
> >
> > Not for me -- I use LILO.
>
> This is the major thing that annoys me. Which moron is it that
> decided GRUB is better,

:-) ...
probably the one that decides "everything" else for you too

> and so you'll use that regardless? Only, I
> think a choice would be nice.

ditto

personally, i like a gui that allows choices ...
        - pick this or pick that

        - if you dont care, it'd decide for you/us

also, when installing, i want to tell it everything once...
and tell it go and it does it all .. i dont want to sit there
and baby sit it every step of the way, one question at a time
as it does it thing for a minute or 5 min or 10 min and sits
and wait for the next answer
        - nope, i didnt try the installer yet, but have
        downloaded the iso .. just waiting for a guinea pig
        to walk in the door that wants to see it

> Added to that, I understand that you can now also choose between
> installing stable/testing/unstable. Heh, that really does amuse me.

that's a good thing to allow choosing which version

along with server type ( mail vs web vs printer vs dns vs fw vs ... )
along with security level of "easy" or "super paranoid"
along with which servers to upgrade/update against

.. blah blah ... the fun of "installing and maintaining it correctly"

> *That* certainly won't cause mass confusion when someone chooses
> unstable, only to realise that woppps, they meant something else.

it will .. guaranteed ...
        - i hope the installed system will give a clue to newbies
        which version they have installed

        "cat /etc/debian_version" might not be sufficient

c ya
alvin