Thomas Adam wrote:
Is there some way to split a large-format PDF file into several A4-sized pieces to print it?

Several ways.

pdftotext
pdftohtml
pdftops

convert (from imagemagick)

Thanks for the very swift answer Adam. I'm still confused. I should have been more specific and said that the PDF files contain images and text. I don't want to manipulate them, just print them as a patchwork.

So I don't think pdftotext or pdftohtml will help.

I couldn't find anything in the manpages of pdftops or convert about splitting pages into multiple parts. Did I miss something? Or are you suggesting converting it to an image and using image manipulation tools to select and print each piece individually? (I could do that but I was hoping there is some way to do it automatically)

Thanks again,
Dave