On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Alexei Chetroi wrote:

> > If you value low downtime, then swap belongs in RAID1 or a hybrid scheme
> > (such as RAID 10).
>   Just a newbie question. In a hybrid scheme, do I need 4 raid
> partitions on 4 different disks? Which raid level comes first, in other
> words: should I stripe mirrors or mirror stripes? I think to gain some
> performance stripes needs to be on different disks, but writes to be
> parallel also need to go on different disks, so for maximum performance
> I need 4 disks?

if you're trying to go faster ...
        - use maximum memory in your motherboard
        - use faster disks  ( 8mb buffers )
        - use 10K rpm ide disks
        - use super expensive/MB scsi-3 disks

if you want to setup raid ...
        - for raid1 ... ( mirror ) you need 2 or mroe disks
        and all data is identical on all drives

        - for striping ...
        with 2 disks .... its sorta pointless ( its already stripped )
        with 3 disks .... its off-centered
        with 4 disks .... you should be usng raid5 across 4 disks

- in either case, you'd want to mirror first so that data is
  on multiple spindles ... than stripe um to read it faster
        but writing will be slower since you have to write it
        n-times and/or its parity n-times

        - which is better depends on the type of data you're handling ..
        web server w/ static pages or credit card processing
        would require different setup to optimize its performance

c ya
alvin