[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Enough already!  Those with better memories than Tal, Nicos, and John
will recall that dougpol1 wrote this list on August 10 (I believe) to
ask for help installing Debian on a flaky machine.  I, for one, wrote
him direct; probably others did too.  Sending his changed address
enables us to continue the correspondence.  What is there in his
behavior to warrant the incivility, which is too frequently displayed
by some on this list?

I notice we all have names.

I would think that if he wants to continue the conversation then that's what he should do. Anyone wishing to correspond with him could then continue to do so. Sending an off-topic statement to the list comprising (ifI recall correctly since recently said) 10 000 or so subscribers of whom maybe six would be interested doesn't show good sense.

the crack about our memories is ill-conceived: it's true I'm approaching senility, but I'm sure the others are young and in fine fettle.Only the most fanatical would have read all the recent mail on this list, especially in view of the difficulties the list has experienced.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait