Sometime in September Jan Kesten assaulted the keyboard and produced:

Howdy Jan,

| Maybe you can use 'du -sh *' in / to look, where the space is gone.
| Mostly you can have /var/log filled with some logs etc.

It's weird, but /var and the rest of the stuff on the root partition only
seem to be using about 500Mb according to du.

| What filesystem do you use? And perhaps the output of du, df and
| mount might be interesting :-)

I'm using ext3. The machine is at home and not on the network right now. So
I'll get the output of du and df and email it to the list after I get home.

| You can try to run fsck to check if your filesystem is corrupted
| (maybe its a good idea to do so from a boot disk).

Yeah, that was my next option. I just thought there might be a way to tell
if something was hidden from du.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E