When trying to print from Mozilla or Firefox on a friend's Debian box (which started
from a Knoppix 3.4 install a couple of months ago), the print dialog lists some
printers, including "lp@:64".  I had gotten printing working by installing magicfilter
and lpr about three weeks before, so I was discouraged to learn that the above named
printer was the default printer in cups.  It is impossible to edit the printer name in
the dialog.

I moved his ~/.mozilla, and after that a new postscript printer name was observed in
the same dialog, in Mozilla only, NOT for firefox.  Thunderbird does show this
printer, and it is possible to print from either Mozilla or Thunderbird by selecting
this printer.  However, it is still impossible to print from Firefox, which does not
show the postscript printer in the print dialog.  I haven't found a .mozilla-firefox
directory, but did find a Desktop/mozilla-firefox, which I deleted.  This did not
change anything.

I have reinstalled mozilla, which resulted in an upgrade, with no change, and deleted
cupsys and some other cups packages.  My friend, who has recently and happily adopted
Debian, and is trying to learn the basics, is willing to forego the use of firefox; I
told him there must be a logical explanation, so I am bringing these questions to the
list:

Is there a separate firefox configuration/customization directory?

Lpr has worked for me for a decade; even though apsfilter has often worked better, I
still have clung to lpr and magicfilter whenever it works, although in a few cases
apsfilter was a better choice, or the only one that easily worked.  I have recently
ordered an HP multipurpose inkjet, and I think I'll have to use cups.  So I'll ask:
where can I find a FM about CUPS besides the Printing HOWTO?  And of course I'd
appreciate any simple explanations aboutr CUPS---if it  is understandable at all.

Is xprt controlling the print dialog?  What is?

Of course, any clue at all will satisfy me, as well as my friend.

Thanks again,

Alan Davis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]