Hello

John Lowell (<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> I've run dpkg -x pv_0.8.6_i386.deb /mnt/floppy as you suggested but
> get "no such file or directory" errors for it. I don't think I erred
> in typing the command. By dint of my own checking your version number
> would seem to be absolutely correct. Sorry to drag this out but I'm
> not getting the package with the dpkg command above. Any ideas?

This only works if the pakage.deb is in the current directory. Unlike
apt, dpkg doesn't know anything about how to retreive packages. To make
this work, you need to get the package yourself. The easiest way is to
download it via apt (apt-get --download-only install pv). You can find
the package in /var/cache/apt/archives. If you use a CD set or DVD, it
is probably easier to download the package from
<http://packages.debian.org>.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--