I been trying for what feels like ever to build an initrd to boot an LVM 2 root partition on a foreign architecture. Unfortunately, I keep seeing:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 164k init 4k chrp 32k prep
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

with even the simplest linuxrc : (

I created an initrd consisting of:

/bin
/bin/dash
/bin/echo
/bin/sh -> dash
/dev
/dev/console c 5 1
/lib
/lib/ld.so.1
/lib/libc.so.6
/linuxrc

linuxrc is a not-overly-complicated shell script:

#!/bin/sh

echo linuxrc is working!

But you'll notice, instead of "linuxrc is working!", I see "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off". Entering "echo linuxrc is broke, broke, broke!" at the prompt works as expected. I've been over & over Documentation/initrd.txt in the kernel source tree. No help from Google.

Anyone who can suggest what might be wrong, or where I should ask, will win a just released, 30% more potent, personally autographed copy of my eternal gratitude!

Thanks,

Jack