I asked the following at

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Setup/Q_21138227.html

so please feel free to join in there!

From

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-system.en.html#s-configure-modules

"We recommend that you only configure devices which are required for the
installation process and not already detected by the kernel. Many people do
not need to configure any kernel modules at all."

How do we know which devices have been "already detected by the kernel" at
this point?

The idea is that i'm confronted by a massive list of modules and concerned
about missing some vital ones, as well as including ones that are
unnecessary because of resource limitation. I'm tempted to do something like
load Knoppix to detect which modules are needed. Is this possible?