On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 11:14, Johann Spies wrote:
> On sid, I can not run kde programs like k3b or quanta.  Apart from the
> error message in the subject line, I also get:
>
> klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'file'
>
> And:
>
> "Could not find mime type application/octet-stream"
>
> And:
>
> No mime types installed.
>

> The following also appears:
>
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
> higher.
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
> higher.
> kbuildsycoca: ERROR creating database '/var/tmp/kdecache-js/ksycoca'!
> kbuildsycoca: Wrong permissions on directory? Disk full?
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
> higher.
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
> higher.
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
> kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype
> KDEDModule not found
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
> higher.
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
> higher.
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
> kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
> kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
> higher.
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
>
> What is the remedy to this?

I'm guessing you're trying to run these from outside KDE, correct?

I had this happen when I upgraded to KDE 3.3, but tried to run the newly
installed apps such as Konqueror from fluxbox, where I was running from
at the time.

When I switched sessions to KDE, everything was fine from that point on,
even from fluxbox.