On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, David Baron wrote:

> RIght now, I have /var and /proc excluded because of their volativity. I
> assume there are specific items/directories in these which SHOULD be
> monitored. Can anyone tell me which ones?

every directory should be monitored ... no exceptions

because  things change in /tmp and /var ...
        - that is precisely why the script kiddies uses scripts that
        put(hide) their trojans in those directories since its constantly
        changing

- best monitor would be:
        - do a good/better job of hardening your servers .. instead of
        depending on tools that may work in some instances and fails in
        other cases ( at least better job of protecting it than the script
        kiddies attacking your boxes )

        - the attacker will exploit your weakest point in the server
        ( directories yu probably will not be watching due to its clutter )

c ya
alvin