At 16:03 23/09/2004, you wrote:
I've been trying to set up some method of using rsync, which will eventually be deployed to copy company data from one office to the other (it's a one way job, so I don't need unison) and have so far had no luck whatsoever. What I was aiming for was something akin to the debian "push" mirroring service that they detail here: http://www.debian.org/mirror/push_server

So far, I tried to have rsyncd running from inetd, what with adding these lines:
/etc/services:
rsync 873/tcp # rsync
rsync 873/udp # rsync

/etc/inetd.conf:
rsync   stream  tcp     nowait root /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd --daemon

A quick ps shows rsync not to be running even after giving inetd a HUP and a full-blown restart.

I thought this might be because I didn't have an rsyncd.conf file, so I created one. However, the docs don't say where it's meant to be created, so I linked the files so that they would live in /etc/rsyncd.conf, /etc/rsyncd/rsyncd.conf and /etc/rsync/rsyncd.conf, but again the daemon seems to be failing to start. That said, I've had no experience with inetd since today, so I may well be barking up the wrong hosepipe. I would have gone the init script route, but didn't want to have to write my own, as again it's something I have no experience with.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going wrong? The instructions in the man pages and on the net seem a little terse, and TBH I'm a bit surprised that Debian doesn't have and "rsyncd" package with just a few config files and sensible defaults.

If anyone has any insight into this, I can award you 10,000 points and a token large bowl of raspberry jelly :) TIA!

Yarg, scratch that. I didn't realise it was possible to do rsyncing without a server running (I found this out after I got the server running, damned typo in my conf file), got it all running over keyed SSH now - sorry for the nonsense message!