"Harvey" == Harvey Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    Harvey> And I'm back at the prompt, with nothing recovered as I
    Harvey> can tell. Please, where am I going wrong?  In addition to
    Harvey> losing everything (no back-ups, I know, I know), a 3,000
    Harvey> word essay due in Monday has been lost.

As many have pointed out to you, you are probably hosed.

I do have a recommendation about backups though, it is something I use
to get around the \rm -rf * in the wrong place. I use rsync from a
cron job run hourly (daily, every 15 minutes, whatever) to backup my
home directory to some place else.

Do notice that "some place else" could just be a different directory
on the same machine, perhaps on the same disk. Like
/var/local/xyz. This will not save you from disk crash, but it will
catch most rm -rf type errors in your home directory. Oh yes, I also
don't really use 'root' for anything much other than apt-get. This is
so I never do rm -rf / ;-)

Good luck!
Shyamal