On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Chris Evans wrote:

> Back on Debian-user for a bit with some questions.  Quick vote of
> thanks for Debian which fuels my server and firewall in a home office
> set up.
>
> Background: I want to use 802.11g networking at home, sadly it'll
> mainly be to connect in three Windoze machines, two XP, one W2k.  I
> want to run as safe an access point as possible off one of my linux
> machines,

that'd imply you use ssh to send all your traffic

even if they crack your wep key .. all they'd see is your ssh data traffic

>  probably off the firewall for now but perhaps by adding a
> machine behind that it in the DMZ.  Three specific questions:
> a) are there any 802.11g PCI cards that anyone can recommend?

i'd use the netgear wg311 ( version 1 ) is madwifi driver
        and wg311v2 is ti chipset ( driver doesnt work )

i got lots of test pci card ... most are garbage that requires
the use of ndiswrapper

        - ndiswrapper will probably NOT support the wireless ap
        functions and features it'd need
        ( master mode in particular )

> Priority for me is the most idiot proof installation.

the 2nd time will always be idiot proof :-)

> etc. that I am always looking for something as near to: shut down;
> install hardware; reboot; run dselect to load a package or do simple
> installation of new driver(s), preferably without having to compile
> myself,

find a pci card that has its drivers loaded in as part of the kernel
        - that'd imply a cisco aironet cards

> b) Can anyone point me to any Debian compatible howtos for wireless
> that aren't too out of date, googling isn't turning up much for me at
> the moment?

you'd need to tweek/create /etc/network/interfaces to add the wireless
options

        http://linux-wireless.org

        look for example config files

-- for testing ... its is lot easier to start things working in 802.11b
   and when all that works ... try to move it to 802.11g and see which
   walls and others in the neighborhood confuses (too noisy for) your ap

c ya
alvin