Op zo 26-09-2004, om 04:45 schreef Don Jackson:

> I feel she needs to have a GUI interface for her email, etc. since that is
> what she is used to.  She is not very computer literate and I need to make it
> as easy as possible for her to operate (she's had some brain damage from an
> accident some years ago).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions of what I could do to improve speed within the
> constraints I have mentioned?  (Yes, I know that command line email program
> would do wonders, but she needs the GUI.)  I don't really need all the fancy
> stuff that the KDE desktop provides.

I think she'll be happy using XFCE4 or IceWM. She could run KDE or Gnome
programs from within either of those, without having to boot the entire
memory eating desktop environment.

You can make them look pretty, too. XFCE4 has a usable file manager and
aims to be a lightweight desktop environment. IceWM is "just" a window
manager (but a usable one and you can extend your desktop with features
and applications yourself).

<http://www.lynucs.org/index.php?p=apps>
<http://xwinman.org/>

> I might mention that Win98se with
> Outlook Express is quite fast (relative to sarge/kde/kmail) on this same
> machine.

I would try to upagrde the memory to at least 128 or 160 MB or so. Linux
does well on older hardware, they say, but it must be older hardware
with plenty of RAM. Perhaps some computer store in your neighbourhood
still has a couple of those chips lying around somewhere, gathering
dust. But I would never pay more for them than an absolutely symbolic
price. Or like, "if I buy a pack of CDRs you give me the SIMMs for free,
right?"

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Olav.