----- Original Message -----
VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Are you using ext3 or reiserfs (or maybe some other fs that isn't compiled by default)? If so you should compile your filesystems option into the kernel rather than making it a module so the kernel can read your file system at boot time. Optionally you can use initrd, but I don't know much about that.

Johnno wrote:

Many thanks for the reply.
I am using ext2 and used apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386
How do I go about compliing the filesystem options?

Many Thanks,
                    Johnno

(I ment my first reply to go to the list... :) )

Well, this must not be your problem becuase I am sure ext2 is in that kernel. Is the root option setup cottectly in your boot loader (for lilo it is in /etc/lilo.conf)?

--
bernie