On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:08:54AM +0100, Gerard Robin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:28:31PM +0200, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:07:03PM +0100, Gerard Robin wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a problem with my partition /var which seems to be too small.
> > > When it is full my system deosn't work fine, for example: fetchmail can't
> > > download my messages in /var/mail/mylogin.
> > > To solve the problem temporarily, I have removed the biggest files in
> > > /var/log/.
> > > How can I solve this problem neatly ?
> > > Thinks in advance for your reply or for a link which gives me a hint
> > > for good solution ?
> > >
> > > "df -h" displays :
> > >
> > > Sys. de fich.         Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Mont? sur
> > > /dev/hda2             464M  139M  302M  32% /
> > > tmpfs                 253M     0  253M   0% /dev/shm
> > > /dev/hda3             3,2G  1,7G  1,4G  55% /usr
> > > /dev/hda6              92M   22K   87M   1% /tmp
> > > /dev/hda7             464M  411M   29M  94% /var
> > > /dev/hda8             1,9G  530M  1,2G  31% /home
> > > /dev/fd0              1,4M  745K  679K  53% /floppy
> > >
> > > "du -hs /var"  displays
> > >
> > > 89M       /var
> > >
> > > 411M != 89M ?
> >
> > I guess there is a program running that still has some removed files
> > open. Try restarting sysklogd, or rebooting.
> >
> > Frank
>
> Thanks  Frank,
> when I reboot it's ok: 89M = 89M :-). But I would like to know if I could
> get the same result by an other way.

The "problem" is caused by the way Unix filesystems work : a file exists
on disk as long as there is at least one reference to it. References can
be a process thart has the file open, or a filename in a directory.
What people think of as removing a file actually only removes the
filename.
The trick is to find which process has the file open. You might try the
lsof command for that, or remembering which large files you recently
deleted. Once you find the process, restarting it should be sufficient.

I once had a similar problem where I had made an iso image, loopback
mounted it, forgot about the mount, and rm'ed the iso. Instant 650 MB
lost, until (some weeks later) I noticed this and unmounted the iso.

Frank